Grow rooms can become quite smelly and for some crops like cannabis, odors can be unbearable. Grow rooms also run the risk of getting infected with molds and fungi and unwanted pollen.
An air purifier employed with a HEPA filter can get rid of the Molds and fungi easily but odors and chemicals pass through it completely. For odors and smells, air purifiers with carbon filters are used which absorb these odors and strip them from the air. So not all air purifiers are the same.
Air Purifier Technology can be confusing at times, HEPA, ozone generators, ionizers, etc. you just want to know what purifiers are best for your grow room. Here are our top 3 recommendations.
List of Best Air Purifiers For Grow Room
1. IQAir Healthpro Plus
The IQAir company is more like Apple for air purifiers they offer great quality with just the right amount of features at a premium price. so If you’re looking for the absolute best for your grow room and you’re not tensed about your pockets then the IQ Air HealthPro plus is the best you can get.
The IQAir HealthPro plus has a three-layered modular design filtration system using an H14 Grade hyper HEPA filter which can remove particles down to 0.003 microns in size and it cleans up to 99.95% of air. Its medical-grade technology enables it to even capture the COVID 19 Virus.
Its V5 Cell carbon filters, which have a massive 5lbs of carbon pellets along with traces of alumina, can eliminate odors and VOCs and provide top-quality air for your grow rooms.
It also has a thick pre-filter which deals with any small-sized particles and increases the life of the hyper HEPA filter and the V5 Cell Carbon filter.
Filter life suggested is 4 years for the Hyper HEPA Filter, 2 years for V5 Cell Carbon Filters, and 18 months for the Pre-filter. For your grow room the first two filters will probably run out faster but due to the modular design of the filters, you can just replace the first two filters.
Having such thick filters one may think the airflow is lacking but the IQAir health pro plus doesn’t fail in that department. It packs 300 CFM of power which can be enough for a room of 1125 sq ft. At the top fan speed of 300 CFM (total 6), it takes in 215 watts of power giving it a 1.39 CFM/Watt ratio. At the lowest speed 40 CFM it takes in 27 Watts giving it a ratio of 1.48 CFM/Watt. It also comes with remote control.
The IQ Air HealthPro Plus has been on the market for decades and is still on top. It lacks a few smart features like auto mode for fans, lacks an air quality sensor (it’s sold separately as a product) and the expensive price are a few of its downsides. But it is still the Best air purifier for grow room.
- CADR of 300 CFM for large rooms up to 1125 sq/ft.
- H14 Hyper HEPA filter filtering down molds bacteria and viruses.
- V5 Cell Filter contains 5lbs of activated carbon with alumina. It removes odors, VOCs, and chemicals and provides clean odorless air.
- Thick Pre Filter for larger particles.
- Long Filter life
- 10-Year Warranty
2. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier
If you’re on a budget then the Winix 5500-2 air purifier is an excellent choice. It’s been at the top of the market for years now. It contains 3-in-1 filter technology that will make your grow room worries go away.
At first, the air gets filtered through the pre-filter this catches up all the large particles and increases the life of the other two filters. The pre-filter is washable and it’s recommended to wash it every two weeks.
Next comes the Advanced odor control AOC carbon filter. Odors are just volatile organic compounds VOCs and the best way to filter them is through a carbon filter. The best thing about Winix 5500-2 AOC filter is that it’s washable. Carbon filters tend to get very dirty quickly so having a washable filter is unique in the market. It is recommended to wash the filter every 3 months.
The Winix 5500-2 has a pellet-based carbon filter in a honeycomb design. The carbon pellets absorb all the bad odors and VOCs present in your grow rooms. We are sure that for a medium-sized grow room the Winix 5500-2 will not disappoint.
Lastly, the air is passed through a True HEPA filter which filters particles down to 0.3 microns in size. Molds and unwanted pollen are 1 to 20 microns in size and are very dangerous for Grow rooms, a true HEPA Filter deals with these easily.
Winix 5500-2 uses plasma wave technology which is actually an ionizer. It creates ions that attach to particles and VOCs making them heavy to stay airborne. The ionizer feature can be turned off if you are worried about ozone levels although the Winix 5500 -2 air purifier has CARB certified so its ozone levels are very low.
Winix 5500-2 has a CFM rating of 250 which can easily clean rooms up to 360 sq/ft(AHAM verified) and if your room is bigger then we advise you to use two units instead of one. At a max fan speed of 250 CFM, it draws in 55 Watts of power which gives it a ratio of 4.54 CFM/Watt. At the lowest fan speed 65 CFM it draws in 5.5 Watts of power which gives it a ratio of 11.8 CFM/Watt. It is one of the most energy-efficient air purifiers on the market.
It comes with an air quality sensor and filter replacement sensor. It also boasts an auto fan speed mode and a sleep mode. You also get a small remote control which is very handy.
It is the best purifier for small grow rooms and medium grow rooms and it’s also the best Value for money Air purifier.
- It has a CADR of approx 250 CFM filtering rooms up to 360 sq/ft
- It’s Quiet and Energy Efficient.
- It uses a 3-stage filtration process With a True HEPA Filter. Also, it comes with Plasmawave technology (Ionizer) which can be turned off if not required. CARB Certified.
- Washable Pre Filter That increases the life of other filters
- Washable Advanced Odor Control (AOC) Carbon Filter (only washable carbon filter on the market) filled with 1 lb of carbon pellets.
- Air Quality Sensor and Filter Replacement Sensors.
- Auto Mode(Automatic fan speed) and Sleep Mode (display turned off when lights are out)
- Warranty Period: 1-2 years
- Filter Life: 12 months
3. Austin Air Healthmate
If you’re big on removing odors, VOCs, and chemicals extensively then the Austin air Healthmate is the choice for you as It specializes in gas filtration.
It comes with a 15 lb carbon zeolite mix filter which can organically remove all odors and VOCs. Normal air filters usually have 1 lb of carbon. Carbon’s chemical absorption is limited. The zeolite mix makes it possible to absorb a greater number of gasses and remove unwanted gasses faster.
Austin air healthmate comes with a true HEPA filter which can eliminate particles down to 0.3 microns in size. It can easily remove any kind of mold, bacteria, or pollen lurking in your grow room.
The air is first passed through a large particle filter and then a medium particle filter. It is then passed through the carbon zeolite filter and then it goes through the true HEPA filter. Resulting in clean odorless air.
The filter is a cylindrical combination filter that takes in air from all sides and pushes it through the center. The company gives a 5-year pro filter warranty, but the warranty is valid only for household use and will not apply to your grow room. Nonetheless, the filter life is very long.
It has an airflow of 250 CFM which can be enough for rooms up to 300 sq ft. at a max speed of 250 CFM the power taken is 94.6 watts, 2.65 CFM/Watt ratio. At the lowest speed approx 50 CFM it takes in 51.3 watts which gives a ratio of 0.97.
It lacks air quality sensors. No remote control and no filter replacement sensor, but has a robust and durable body. It boasts a simple design and simple control with just a fan speed selector switch.
The Austin air superiority in gas filtration is not cheap, nonetheless is the best carbon filter air purifier for grow room.
- It has a CADR of 250 CFM which can filter up to 360 Sq/ft rooms (AHAM verified)
- It has a True HEPA filter which can filter mold spores, Dust, and other particles.
- 15lbs of Carbon zeolite mixture filter which can remove all sorts of VOCs, Odors, and chemicals.
- Two pre-filters Large particle filter and a medium particle filter.
- Metallic Durable Design
- 5 years Pro filter Warranty this applies only to rooms though but suggests long filter life
- 5 Year Mechanical Warranty
- 30-day no questions asked warranty.
Grow rooms are essentially businesses and for businesses, the most important thing is for systems to remain profitable. For you to easily compare the top 3 choices we have assembled some important factors that might be kept in mind.
Air Purifier Price
Filter Replacement Cost per Year
|Air Purifier||Filter Life||Filter Prices||Filter Cost / Year|
|IQAir Health Pro Plus||4 years hyper HEPA filter|
2 years carbon filter
18 months Pre-filter
|Winix 5500-2||12 months||$59.51|
$20 ( Washable Pre-filter pack 12)
|Austin Air Healthmate||5 years|
single combination filter replacement needed if only one filter media is used up
From the above comparison, it is seen that Austin air provides a better filter replacement price. the Austin air filter is a single combination filter that can be used up fast if your grow room is very dirty. We recommend the Winix 5500-2 for its Pre-filter pack contains 12 pre-filter which are seldom replaced.
|Air Purifiers for Grow Rooms||Max Speed||Power Usage (M)||Ratio|
|Low Speed||Power Usage (L)||Ratio|
|IQAir Health Pro Plus||300 CFM||215 W||1.39||40 CFM||27 W||1.48|
|Winix 5500-2||250 CFM||55 W||4.54||65 CFM||5.5 W||11.8|
|Austin Air Healthmate||250 CFM||94.6 W||2.65||50 CFM||51.3 W||0.97|
The Winix 5500-2 is highly efficient for max speeds as well as low speeds.
Why Use an Air Purifier in Your Grow Room?
Using air purifiers in grow rooms can be very beneficial besides removing odors and VOCs.
Here are a few benefits:
- Dust and suspended particles reduce the light efficiency of grow lights. Having clean air keeps the Grow lights levels as high as possible.
- Some states have regulations on what amount of odors you can release from your grow room, especially for cannabis growers. Carbon-filtered extraction fans are used for this purpose. Using an air purifier removes the odors within the room which will increase your extraction fan carbon filter life.
- Prevention of diseases such as powdery mildew and bud rot and other fungal/bacterial diseases of plants.
- Removal of unwanted pollen
- Carbon dioxide gas usually accumulates at the floor surface as it is heavy. The air purifier placed on the surface actually helps in carbon dioxide recirculation.
- Removal of Suspended particles which can trap inside growing plants. This gives a pure yield of plants grown for medicinal purposes.
- Ethylene is a gas produced by plants to stimulate the ripening and death of leaves. Studies suggest that by removing ethylene in the last weeks of flowering the ripening period is extended which leads to increased yield. The carbon filters of the air purifier remove this gas effectively.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How Do You Keep the Air Clean in a Grow Room?
To keep the air clean in a grow room you must use an air purifier. Air Purifiers use HEPA filters which remove dust, dirt, molds, bacteria, and 99.97% of particles 0.003 microns in size.
How Do I stop my grow room from Smelling?
To stop a grow room from smelling you should use an air purifier with an extensive carbon filter. Carbon filters absorb gasses VOCs and odors to provide clean odorless air
Can I use An air purifier in my Grow room?
Yes, you can use an air purifier in a Grow room. Grow rooms have open loop and closed loop ventilation systems installed but the air inside the room needs to be cleaned at all times and an air purifier is best for air purification
Which is better: an air purifier or air Ionizer?
An air purifier is better than a standalone ionizer because Air purifiers contain HEPA filters that trap dust debris and all sorts of particles, not letting them escape again. The ionizer releases ions in the air which combine with suspended particles and take them down to the surface.
Grow room dust, odors, smells, and particles can be effectively removed by our 3 best air purifiers. If you want the absolute best then go for the IQ air health pro plus. If budget is a concern then the Winix 5500-2 is better, and if your grow room is big, you can use multiple Winix air purifiers. And if you want to eliminate odors and VOCs fast, then go for the superior in terms of carbon filtration, Austin Air Healthmate.